Job Locations: US-IN-Peru Your Opportunity:
Responsible for the training and skill development of hourly new hire employees, including, but not limited to, the development of knife techniques to include sharpening and maintenance of sharpening tools. Will work most of the time on the production floor coaching and assisting new employees in learning production jobs after they are hired and to assist with training on the job with employees have moved positions through the job bidding process. On the Job trainers will be responsible for some job specific training that may include knife sharpening techniques, LOTO, Animal Handling, Floor Hyster Training and other job specific knowledge required for an employee to learn their assigned position with the company. Will work with Supervision and Training Supervisor to ensure tracking documents are in place to best identify those needing additional training.
- Trains hourly new hire production employees on skill development and job requirements
- Travels the production line to ensure appropriate job techniques
- Corrects and retrains employees exhibiting behavior that is contrary to job requirements and correct job techniques.
- Assists Training Specialist and Supervisor with progress reports, job bid qualifications and identifying trends involving employees, tools, or jobs/tasks having most the most difficulty maintaining a sharp cutting tool or being able to perform assigned positions
- Accurately documents required training attendance.
- Assists other plant departments as needed and miscellaneous duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Ability to rotate to different shifts based on production needs
- Ability to travel to other facilities to assist with new start-up projects
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Continuing education beyond high school diploma/equivalency is strongly encouraged
- Minimum of one (1) years' experience in manufacturing operations
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Bi-Lingual in more than one language preferred
- Able to work with co-workers proactively and in a team environment
- Shows problem solving abilities
- Preferred knowledge of Excel or other computer programs.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk; use hands to handle or feel, and talk or hear; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, climb or crawl.
Careers and Benefits:
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield Foods:
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in our U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by law.