Location: This is a Remote Position.
Reports to: High School Coordinator, Team Leader
High School Teachers at My Virtual Academy serve as the mentor teacher. The role of a teacher at MVA is to promote student success in an online learning environment. The teacher is the official contact with the student weekly. Teachers monitor progress and ensure the student is working in their courses in Edmentum, the primary coursework used by students in the MVA program. High School Teachers document and retain an online activity log detailing two-way interactions for each of their students. High School teachers enjoy a flexible schedule.
- Contact students and document communication.
- Zoom meet or phone call is the first method of contact for students weekly.
- Must keep student spreadsheet of documented dates and calls.
- Must connect Team Leader and High School Coordinator to the spreadsheet.
- Document all communications.
- Parent/Guardian must be updated twice a month on student progress.
- Follow up with calls and emails as needed.
- Must be knowledgeable about school policies and procedures, the courses each student is taking, credit and graduation requirements, and students’ technology needs.
- Establish and communicate clear expectations and guidelines.
- Student ratio will be 1.4 students to 1 hour.
Two-Way Mentor Communication Requirements
- Two contacts are required weekly.
- Week is managed from Wednesday to Tuesday.
- First Contact must be Zoom and/or phone.
- If a student answers, the second contact may be a phone call, text, or email.
- Student responses to text and email must be inputted into Student Information System (SIS).
- Must follow the format set by ATS when inputting contact logs into (SIS).
- Expectation of documented contacts is 75% for non-count months and 100% for count months.
- Interaction must be relevant to the course or pupil’s progress.
- Updated list of no student contacts must be sent every Friday by noon and Monday by noon.
- All two-way interactions must be documented and available to the auditor upon request.
- Help each enrolled student develop an educational development plan.
- Handle academic calls for your students and refer to Curriculum Specialists as needed.
- Grade and check assignments as needed or refer to Curriculum Specialists as needed.
- Update grades by Tuesday of each week.
- Complete specific district requirements for grading spreadsheets and weekly reports.
- Teach and encourage students to be self-directed, independent learners who are responsible for their coursework, but ensure resources are available to help them.
- Run reports weekly to review students’ status.
- Learner Daily Usage Report
- Learner Progress Report
- Update student learning outcomes weekly with the student.
- Counsel students regarding schedule, grades, and credits.
- Provide a list to the Pupil Accounting team to send out letters and notices as necessary for non-working or no-contact students.
- Communicate testing times and dates to MVA students.
- Remind students of Testing and dates when needed.
- Mandatory help with state testing.
- Communicate graduation information time and dates to MVA students.
- Must attend at least 2 graduations.
Other duties as required
- Check Email daily.
- Check voicemail daily.
- Attend meetings.
- Daily MVA Check-Ins 2-3 times per week
- Weekly Team Meetings
- Weekly Team Leader Meetings
- Monthly MVA Staff Meetings
- Meet ATS requirements for professional development.
- Tech troubleshoot as needed.
- Troubleshoot tech issues with students.
- Send tech help email as needed.
- Replacement of equipment follow-up call as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.