The Medical Laboratory Scientist will perform and analyze the results of complex scientific tests on blood and other bodily fluids. This involves preparing patient samples for examination using automated equipment and specialized instrumentation, performing numerous complicated tests simultaneously, and accurately interpreting the results. The Medical Laboratory Scientist is expected to work in many different areas of the hospital laboratory which include chemistry, blood bank, hematology, coagulation, serology, and urinalysis. In each of these areas, they need to work with a number of different specimens in order to analyze data that will give doctors required information on patient health.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Processes and tests all laboratory specimens.
· Reviews and reports laboratory results.
· Reviews and maintains laboratory pending lists.
· Performs operational duties, maintenance and advanced troubleshooting of laboratory instrumentation and equipment.
· Performs quality control as directed for all laboratory testing performed.
· Performs calibration of laboratory equipment as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Ability to work as a generalist in all departments of the lab.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to prioritize tasks and execute them in a timely manner.
· Ability to perform phlebotomy on patients if needed.
· Excellent customer service skills.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSING REQUIREMENTS:
· Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Science, Clinical Laboratory Science, or Medical Technology.
· Current Generalist license from Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners
· ASCP Certification
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $27.00 per hour
Ability to commute/relocate:
Work Location: One location