For almost 100 years, Matthews Memorialization has been a leader in the memorialization industry, helping families move from grieving to remembrance, and helping our customers grow their businesses. We serve customers in the cemetery and funeral industries including cemeteries, funeral homes and monument dealers, by providing a full range of high-quality products, strategic business solutions, technology, and outstanding customer service and support. We are seeking a SR Quality Engineer to join our growing team supporting our bronze memorial division in Pittsburgh, PA. This position will plan, coordinate and direct the Company’s quality program, designed to ensure quality control and quality assurance of the production of products consistent with established standards. If you are seeking the next step in your career, this is a terrific opportunity to be a major contributor and a leader of the quality outcomes for one of Matthews Memorialization’s largest divisions. The salaried position includes a competitive benefits package with medical, vision, dental and more; opportunity for annual incentive compensation (bonus); 401(K) with company match; generous earned time off and more.
- Formulates and maintains quality objectives complementary to corporate policies and goals.
- Consistently and effectively communicates the quality philosophy/culture to key personnel in organization.
- Develops and initiates standards and methods for inspection, testing and evaluation.
- Leads Corrective Action Team using statistical tools such as Cause and Effect Diagrams, Scatter Diagrams, Check Sheets and a sound problem-solving technique.
- Plans and oversees the analysis, inspection, design, testing and/or integration to assure the quality of assigned products or components.
- Performs quality engineering reviews of design documentation for compliance with stated requirements, including vendor quality manuals and company quality records.
- Applies Statistical Process Control (SPC), modern quality tools such as Design of Experiments (DOE) and Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA), Lean Tools, Kaizen, "5S" and Six Sigma methods for analyzing data to evaluate the current process and process changes.
- Decides whether to accept a product or continue business with a vendor based on a review by the quality assurance engineer.
- Reviews all data obtained during all quality control and quality assurance activities to ensure consistency with company policies and procedures.
- Develops new approaches to solve problems identified during quality activities.
- Keeps management team abreast of significant issues or developments identified during quality activities and actions being taken to improve the situation. Plays lead role in coordinating plant quality initiatives; often required to influence members of peer group and non-direct reporting functions.
- Prepares and presents technical and program information to the management team.
- Directs workers engaged in inspection and testing activities to ensure continuous control over materials, facilities and products.
- Maintains a working knowledge of government and industry quality codes and standards.
- Plays active role on quality management teams within organization.
- Works collaboratively with employees at all levels to develop and implement processes and training to drive employee engagement in process improvement.
- Designs and implements quality training programs to key personnel in conjunction with managers.
- Investigates and adjusts to customer complaints regarding quality. Serves as principle customer interface with respect to quality issues and customer satisfaction opportunities.
- Lead team(s) to identify root cause issues and implement effective corrective solutions.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates activities of employee(s) to ensure goals or objectives are accomplished. Mentors, coaches, trains and develops team.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field
- 6+ years of previous quality assurance experience.
- Occasional travel either locally, nationally, and/or internationally may be required.
- Prior managerial/supervisory experience preferred.
- AQS Certified Quality Engineer or Manager preferred.
- Lean and/or Six Sigma Certification preferred.
- Demonstrates knowledge of ISO and LeanSigma tools and techniques preferred.
- High degree of proficiency MS Office Suite, Outlook & Internet applications.
- Strong analytical, prioritizing, interpersonal, problem-solving, presentation, budgeting, project management (from conception to completion), & planning skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (including analysis, interpretation, & reasoning).
- Solid understanding and application of mathematical concepts.
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with peers and colleagues across the organization, as well as, internal and external clients.
- Ability to work well autonomously and within a team in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to work with and influence peers and senior management
- Self-motivated with critical attention to detail, deadlines and reporting.
- Regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
- Regularly/Occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Regularly/Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, extreme cold & heat, risk of electrical shock, and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The noise level in the work environment may be high.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
Matthews Memorialization is a leader in the memorialization industry who is committed to helping customers grow their businesses and helping families move from grieving to remembrance by providing products of superior craftsmanship and revenue generating programs and services. Within this industry, our Environmental Solutions is focused on the design and manufacture of advanced combustion systems. Matthews Memorialization is a (MATW) Matthews International company.
At Matthews International, what makes us different is what makes us great. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Matthews International affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, age, disability or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
Matthews International endeavors to make our employment website and application process accessible to all users and applicants. In doing so, Matthews International provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you have a disability and require a reasonable accommodation or assistance completing the application process, please contact a member of our Human Resource Team.