Botanist/Ecologist/Wetland Scientist -REMOTE/ Michigan
Environmental Consulting & Technology, Inc. (ECT) is interested in hiring a full time, Botanist/Ecologist to join our Natural Resources Service Line in the Michigan.. Strong plant identification is necessary and knowledge midwestern species, or the ability to quickly learn them is required. Knowledge of threatened and endangered species, wetland delineations, and ecological restoration is a plus.
Candidate will have the ability to work remote but need to be located in/or around the state of Michigan.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Perform field work and office-based studies as directed by supervisor, in support of corporate, nonprofit, municipal, and institutional clients
- Execute flora and fauna surveys, wetland delineations and determinations, ecological restorations, and wildlife habitat creation design and construction
- Oversee the development of reports, rare species protective measures, and wetland impact minimization measures
- Conduct natural features baseline and preconstruction studies, construction/restoration oversight, installation, and monitoring/maintenance activities, including mechanical and chemical invasive species treatment, weeding, planting, seeding, and watering
- Lead and conduct natural features assessments via desktop and field review, threatened & endangered species surveys and permitting, wetland delineation and permitting, ecological monitoring, environmental education (classroom and field-based), and community outreach activities and prepare graphics, data, written reports/documentation, presentations, and educational documents
- Perform identification of midwestern native and invasive plants, with an emphasis on Great Lakes and midwestern ecosystems
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree botany, plant biology, wildlife biology, or related natural resource fieldis required
- 2-5 years’ experience related to botanical surveys, threatened and endangered species surveys; wetland delineation; native vegetation identification and restoration, design, and management; invasive species control; and wildlife habitat restoration
- Advanced knowledge of, or research in, rare and declining species, invasive plant identification, and pollinators is a plus
- Familiarity with natural resource regulations and previous experience with environmental consulting and project and budget management is welcomed
Capabilities & Credentials:
- Ability to obtain certification as a, Certified Ecological Restoration Practitioner, Certified Ecologist, Certified Arborist, Professional Wetland Scientist, Professional Wildlife Biologist, or Professional Landscape Architect strongly desired
- Knowledge and skills related to GPS and ArcGIS software preferred
- Experience writing and administering grants and the ability to develop and implement study plans
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, technical writing skills, and attention to detail
- Excellent field, writing, and oral communication skills and ability to work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team
- Able to juggle multiple projects and changing priorities without missing deadlines or losing sight of overall project goals
- Able to lift heavy objects, traverse rough terrain, and experience inclement weather with exposure to sun and insects
- Work independently with little direct supervision; self-motivated with sound professional judgement
- Reliable transportation and the ability and willingness to undertake considerable travel (day and multi-night) during the field season
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record required
ECT is a federal contractor and is working to achieve compliance with Executive Order 14042 outlining COVID-19 vaccination and program requirements for federal contractors, subcontractors, etc. At this time, ECT is not requiring vaccination as a condition of employment or continued employment for current and future employees; however, some locations performing direct and indirect federal work have specific vaccination and protocol requirements. As additional detailed guidance is provided, the firm’s position may need to change. Current and future unvaccinated employees may also have specific protocols outlined to achieve said compliance. Please discuss this topic with the recruiter or hiring manager as necessary during your interview process.
ECT is a multidisciplinary natural resources and environmental engineering consulting firm serving private and public sector clients by integrating science, engineering, technology, planning, and management systems to provide practical solutions to complex challenges. ECT’s business philosophy emphasizes professional development within a participatory management structure, providing a progressive flexible work environment to build an employee's career path. ECT maintains a drug-free environment and is an affirmative action (AA) and equal employment opportunity (EEO) employer.