The Director – WECC Markets is responsible for leading the Market Fundamentals area for WECC Markets. This position will be responsible for the analysis for WECC Markets as it relates but not limited to: Market views, Forward Price Curves projections, Basis, negative price, and curtailment analysis, PPA structuring and analysis and Merchant hedging analysis.
Additionally, due to AvanGrid Renewables positioning in the North West, the Director – WECC Markets will drive the company towards meeting its short, and long-term objectives as it relates to the Avangrid Balancing Authority. The Director – WECC Markets will chair a steering committee charged with the overall strategy of the balancing authority under the direction of the executive team and will implement a formal process of assessing the short-term impacts of operational challenges, seasonality considerations, growth of the generation portfolio, and the impact on balancing capabilities for the WECC markets.
- Lead the effort to analyze the energy landscape in WECC, generate market views and forecasts, and ensure that Avangrid has consistent and cohesive outlook in the long term
- Lead the internal review and adoption of the forward price curves for WECC, develop justification for the committee’s approval, and support the application of the curves in different business cases
- Collaborate with Investment Office, Origination, Policy, and other internal teams to support various projects by performing revenue, basis, curtailment, negative price protection, PPA, risk, and policy impact analyses
- Establish and lead a balancing authority steering committee comprised of stakeholders from various functional areas with purpose of analyzing and providing strategic direction.
- Lead the development of a BA model developed internally or through a 3rd-party vendor that provides an output on required balancing capability for Avangrid’s NW portfolio
- Review reliability performance that relates to NERC, WECC, and the NWPP.
- Develop & establish short-term BA strategy for managing volatility & uncertainty including market price, weather, resource availability while driving towards 100% compliance and avoiding production limitation.
- Review opportunities to add future balancing resources to support growth within the BA that are consistent with our objectives.
- Review long-term needs to potentially engage with BPA on future projects.
- Define and consolidate BA operational and economical reporting.
- Provide leadership on AREN’s potential entrance into the EIM market, NWPP Resource Adequacy Program, and overall balancing authority readiness.
- Provide regular feedback to executive business sponsors regarding Balancing Authority steering committee recommendations, progress, and challenges.
- Represent the Avangrid Renewables Balancing Authority professionally in external forums to help influence outcomes that support our objectives.
- Establish collaborative relationships across business units and key stakeholders and ensure the balancing authority is strategically positioned to achieve positive economic outcome while meeting a 100% compliance obligation.
- Manage data and service subscriptions, manage and develop other staff on the team, and ensure smooth coordination with other internal teams.
- Full-time position requires 5 years of experience in activities related to balancing authority operations. And at least 8 years of experience in WECC analysis
- Ability to synthesize a market view based on research and fundamentals
- Knowledge of energy and REC markets and experience performing price modelling forecast
- Experience with production cost and capacity expansion modelling software such as AURORA PROMOD, PLEXOS, Gridview, GE MAPS, etc.
- Understanding of NERC Reliability standards and FERC standard of conduct rules.
- Understanding of operational and commercial principles of the balancing authority configuration.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to lead cross-departmental projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate with both business and technical personnel at all organizational levels
- Be a role model
- Be agile
- Collaborate and Share
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Focus to achieve results
- Technical Skills
Please note that any applicant who is not a citizen of the country of the vacancy will be subject to compliance with the applicable immigration requirements to legally work in that country
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables