Build Your Career at Aecon
Aecon is proud to build some of the most impactful infrastructure projects of this generation. From the roads and transit systems that connect our communities, to the communication networks that link us from coast-to-coast, and the water infrastructure that supplies our businesses and homes. Our integral work includes constructing the pipelines that join provinces with the energy that fuels the nation, and the airports and ports that connect us all. Aecon is there, safely and sustainably building the future.
We lead the infrastructure industry with purpose, and our people are at the heart of everything we do. Our business success relies on strong execution and continuous improvement – driven by the diversity, expertise and teamwork of our employees. We are always searching the globe for exceptional candidates to join the Aecon family and be a part of our forward-thinking, innovative, best-in-class organization!
What is the Opportunity?
Aecon Civil is a market leader with a self-perform competitive advantage and core local strength in key markets. We’re proud of our work helping to expand and improve Canada’s infrastructure and transportation networks, and we’re ready to build the future of our country. Aecon is currently seeking a Civil Field Engineer to join the iconic Gordie Howe - Bridging North America Project based out of Detroit, Michigan.
What You’ll Do Here:
- Practices and learns construction practices as required for compliance with federal, state, and local codes; industry standards; company procedures; contractual requirements.
- Supports daily field operations by providing technical guidance to craft personnel.
- Provide technical advice regarding design, construction, or program modifications and structural repairs to Lead Engineer.
- Assist Lead Engineer in developing and providing updates for schedules, daily work reports, necessary documents and information to support the successful completion of construction activities.
- Perform material take-off to estimate quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labor.
- Monitor progress, report quantities for assigned construction activities
- Prepare, coordinate and manage construction submittals, RFI’s and field surveys.
- Participate in the development of Safety requirements related to an assigned scope of work, such as writing of Job Safety Analysis (JSAs) and Safety Task Assessments (STAs), participating in weekly safety assessment/observations, participating in safety meetings, etc. Should exhibit a high-level of safety consciousness and lead by example what safety excellence is.
- Participate in the development of Quality requirements related to an assigned scope of work, such as assisting Quality representatives in the development of Inspection and Testing Plans (ITPs) along with material receiving inspections, quality observations, quality inspections, processing of Non-Conformance Reports (NCRs) etc.
- Develop Work Plans related to an assigned scope of work.
- Participate in the review of Foreman daily time sheets and/or reports and audit for accuracy. Prepare reports as required for daily/weekly production.
- Ensures project costing requirements and trends are monitored.
- Coordinates and provide support for surveying needs.
What You Bring to the Team:
- Education to include engineering degree or equivalent combination of technical training or related experience.
- 5-10 years of experience working on bridge, steel/concrete girder, piling. colum, pier cap, overhang, bridge deck construction type of projects,
- Able to use drafting software to develop construction means and methods plans.
- Good understanding of how to read engineering drawings, documents and site plans.
- Experience with and understanding of Engineered tools/equipment, automated systems, remote tooling systems.
- Excellent Computer skills including proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Strong interpersonal skills in communicating with a large team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Flexibility to work in both field and office.
What Makes us Aecon Proud:
- Engaging and agile workplace culture, collaborative and inclusive teams
- Commitment to sustainability and to becoming a net-zero company by 2050
- Investing in our people through a variety of learning and development programs such as Aecon University, BluePrint leadership program, and Project Management Academy
- Variety of wellness benefits, access to virtual health care, 100% employer-paid health and dental premiums, Employee Assistance Program, Best Doctors Program, and more.
- Tuition reimbursement opportunities
- Recognition and rewards through Aecon Accolades, Aecon Achievement Awards and more
- Employee Stock Options, Short Term Incentive Program, Retirement Savings and Pension Plan
Aecon fosters diversity, inclusion and belonging within and across our organization. We welcome all to apply including, women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. If you require accommodation during any step of the application process, please click here.